We're glad you've chosen Rock Hill for your business location! All businesses operating in the City of Rock Hill are required to pay an annual license fee for the privilege of doing business in the City for each of its locations. If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or transferring a business to your ownership, you will need a new business license under your name and should submit a New Business License Application. Visit our frequently asked questions page for more information.
Annual license fees are based on the rate class associated with the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) and the gross income for the business. The Business License Calculator will help to determine your fee. You can find more information in the Business License Ordinance (Chapter 11), Rate Class Index and Fee Schedule - Appendix A - Chapter 11. You can also see our handout on How to Calculate a Business License Fee by Hand.
- Commercial Locations - A certificate of occupancy is required for your business location. You can get a certificate of occupancy by complying with any zoning and/or building code requirements. The Open for Business Program can assist you through this process.
- Home-based Businesses - A Home Occupation Permit is required to use your home address as the business location. Fill out the Home Occupation Permit application and a business license application and submit them to our office.
- Outside City Limits - Businesses located outside of the City of Rock Hill's municipal limits are also required to have a business license if they engage in business activity within the city. Visit our frequently asked questions page for more information.
- Contractors Outside City Limits - Contractors with a physical business location outside the City have the option to obtain a "Per Job License" for projects they will be working on in the City that will cover their work for the duration of the project. Please provide a copy of your contract or quote with your business license application. If you do work frequently in the City, you can also get an annual license.
|Business License Fee Calculator*||Rate Class Index|
|Business License Application||Business License Renewal Application|
|Business License Ordinance||Frequently Asked Questions|
* Note that there are several types of businesses that the online fee calculator is not able to calculate. These include professional practices, like physicians and attorneys, where a minimum fee is charged for each principal of the firm and rate class 8.2 through 8.10 businesses. This includes businesses such as telecommunications, insurance, amusement machines/coin operated devices, billiard or pool rooms, bingo halls, junk or scrap dealers, pawn brokers, auto and farm machinery dealers, carnivals or circuses, or bars. Please contact us at 803-329-5590 or by email to determine your license cost if you need assistance.
All business licenses expire on December 31st. The business license fee for each calendar year is due at the beginning of the year and is considered past due after April 30.
Businesses with a physical business location outside the City should renew their business license prior to conducting business in the new calendar year.
Renewal forms are emailed out in December or mailed out at the beginning of the year in January as a courtesy reminder. Business licenses are subject to a 5% late fee per month starting on May 1. The late fee is not included in the business license calculator. If you do not receive your renewal form by email or mail, you can print one out from our website or contact us.
Steps to Renew Your License
|Step 1 - Fill out a Business License Renewal Application.||Step 1 - Fill out a Business License Renewal Application.||Step 1 - Fill out a Business License Renewal Application.|
|Step 2 - Submit your completed application by email. In order to ensure the accuracy of your license and fee, please allow 10 days for processing and submit your application before 5 PM on April 20. Any payments made after 5 PM on April 30 are subject to penalties.||Step 2 - Click on the Business License Fee Calculator*. Select your business Rate Class Type. Select if your business is physically located inside the City limits or outside City limits. Enter gross receipts and calculate your fee.||
Visit us at City Hall located at:
Planning & Development Dept.
|Step 3 - Once we receive your application and process it, you will receive an invoice with the total of your business license fee. You can pay online or mail a check along with your invoice. When we receive your payment, your license will be issued.||
Step 3 - Mail renewal form along with payment to:
City of Rock Hill
When we receive your payment, your license will be issued.
|Step 4 - The license will be mailed or emailed to you depending on the option you selected on your renewal form. Please post your license in a conspicuous place at your business establishment. If your business is mobile or located outside of the City, carry the license with you while working in town.||Step 4 - The license will be mailed or emailed to you depending on the option you selected on your renewal form. Please post your license in a conspicuous place at your business establishment. If your business is mobile or located outside of the City, carry the license with you while working in town.||
Hours of Operation: