The City of Rock Hill requires a roofing permit for any repair or roof replacement. Building permits are also required for repairs and replacements of siding and other exterior features. A permit must be obtained before any work can be started.
To obtain permits in Rock Hill, contractors must have a South Carolina State Contractor's license with SCLLR and a City Business License. Contractors new to Rock Hill must also complete a New Contractor Application to be added to our permit system.
If anyone other than the state license holder will be obtaining the permit, those persons must be authorized to do so by the state license holder. The state license holder must complete an Authorization to Obtain Permits form to authorize others to pick up permits on their behalf.
Section R908 Reroofing of the SC Residential Code states: A roof recover shall not be permitted where any of the following conditions occur:
- Where the existing roof or roof covering is water-soaked or has deteriorated to the point that the existing roof or roof covering is not adequate as a base for additional roofing.
- Where the existing roof covering is slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile.
- Where the existing roof has two or more applications of any type of roof covering.
Once you have your City business license and have been added to our permit system by completing the New Contractor Application, there are several ways you can apply for your permit. Complete the Roofing Permit Application and submit with a copy of your contract/ job estimate one of the following ways:
- Online - visit https://rockhillgis.cityofrockhill.com/permitting to apply online.
- By Email - email your permit application to one of the following Development Services Specialists: Sharon Faulkenberry, Lyla Johnson, or Niki Clevenger.
- By mail - mail your permit application to Planning & Development, P.O. Box 11706, Rock Hill SC 29731.
- In person - permits are issued over the counter Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at our office in City Hall located at 155 Johnston St., Room 300, Rock Hill, SC 29730.
The permit fee is based on the value of the work performed.
Roofing Permit Application (PDF)
Contractor Licensing Requirements and New Contractor Application (PDF)
Fee Schedule (PDF)
Business License Application (PDF)
Authorization to Obtain Permits Form (PDF)
Important Information for Homeowners
Consumer Guide to Home Improvement Contracts (PDF)
Hire a Licensed Contractor (PDF)
Owner Builder Disclosure Information for Homeowners (PDF)
Owner Builder Affidavit (PDF)