The Rock Hill Fire Department conducts annual inspections of commercial properties to ensure the safety of employees and the public.
Certain business types, such as restaurants, child care and medical facilities, industrial sites, etc. follow more comprehensive fire code requirements. Additional code requirements are also based on the size and scope of the space a business occupies. Multi-story buildings or excessive square footage will affect the fire codes that apply to you.
Comprehensive Building Codes, including the South Carolina Fire Code, are available here:
Not complying with or not correcting items by the date of the next inspection can result in re-inspection fees. For additional assistance, call the Rock Hill Fire Marshal Battalion Chief Otis Driggers at 803-329-7244 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a general checklist and may not include all the items that your business will be required to comply with.Address
- Address clearly posted with numbers or letters not less than 4 inches in height.
- Tenant identification of business on rear door of strip shops.
- Correct type and number of fire extinguishers in place for your business. Generally, a 5lb. ABC fire extinguisher is required for every 1,500 sq. ft. Restaurants and industrial businesses may require additional specific types of fire extinguishers.
- Fire extinguishers tested recently. The extinguisher must be serviced and tagged by a licensed fire equipment dealer every 12 months.
- Extinguisher not obstructed from view.
- Maximum travel distance to a fire extinguisher 75 feet.
Exits & Fire Escapes
- Lighted exit signs in place and working properly.
- Emergency lights in place and working properly.
- Doorways and exits not blocked and easily accessible.
- Fire doors operational and not blocked or secured in place.
Sprinklers & Fire Alarm Systems
- Any fire sprinkler systems, fire suppression systems and fire alarm systems are working properly and have been tested recently.
- Sprinkler heads not painted.
- All pull stations not obstructed from view.
- Fire alarm panel accessible.
- All alarm horns and strobes unobstructed.
- Key to fire alarm control panel and pull stations accessible.
- Any hazardous chemicals stored do not exceed the maximum allowed.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) available on site for any flammable, combustible, or hazardous material used or stored.
- Combustibles not stored next to heating source (i.e. water heater)
- Housekeeping inside and outside of building is orderly
- No storage in exits
- No storage within 18” of sprinkler heads
- No storage under stairs, unless the stair is protected from the bottom by a fire rated enclosure.
- Construction Features
- Ceiling tiles in place.
- No holes in walls or ceilings separating your business from another tenant.
- Stairwell handrails secure.
- No extension cords being used as permanent wiring.
- No extension cords, flexible cords, and multi-tap adapters being used (power strips are acceptable).
- Electrical panel boxes, receptacles, light switches have proper covers on.
- Maintain 36 inches of clear space in front of and around electric panels.
- Ensure panel box and breakers are labeled for correct use.
- Maintain clearance around water heaters and other heat producing appliances, such as a furnace, pedestal transformer, etc.
- Fire lanes properly marked and maintained.
- Fire lanes not obstructed.
Restaurants/Kitchens & Assembly
- Occupancy load posted.
- Have required K extinguisher for deep fryers.
- Hood system is free of grease and clean.
- Hood system has current 6 month inspection.