Electrical, Mechanical and Gas

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A permit is needed to install, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, or mechanical system. For residential or commercial new construction, additions, and interior upfits, the electrical, mechanical, and gas subcontractors are usually listed on the general contractors permit and a separate permit is not required. If you are unsure if you were listed as a subcontractor on the general contractors permit, please contact the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or you can check the permit online on the Online Services website.


Upgrading a residential electrical service will trigger some other upgrades to the electrical system in a home.  The following items will be required to be installed with an electrical service upgrade:  smoke alarms, ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) and arc fault protection.  Please see our flyer for Electrical Service Change Out or Upgrade for more information.

Changes to the electrical service for a commercial project may require plan review.  Please contact us to verify if plan review is required.  Permanently affixed labels clearly showing the address are required for all meter locations where two or more meters are grouped together.


The IECC (International Energy Conservation Code) requires Manual D and J calculations to be submitted when replacing equipment or ductwork.  See Energy Code Requirements for more information.

Applying for a Permit

You can apply for a permit several different ways. Be sure to include any required drawings, specifications or calculations.  Contractors should include a copy of the contract/ job estimate with the permit application. Most permits are issued over the counter unless a plan review is needed.  

  • Online - visit https://rockhillgis.cityofrockhill.com/permitting to apply online.
  • By Email - email your permit application to one of the following Development Services Specialists: Lyla JohnsonNiki Clevenger, or Luis Maigon.
  • By mail - mail your permit application to Planning & Development, P.O. Box 11706, Rock Hill SC 29731.
  • In person - permits are issued over the counter Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at our office in City Hall located at 155 Johnston St., Room 300, Rock Hill, SC 29730.

The permit fee is based on the value of the work performed. 

Contractor Licensing 

Trade/mechanical work is required to be performed by a state licensed contractor per the City's municipal ordinance Section 10-212. If this is your first time applying for a permit at the City of Rock Hill, you will need to fill out a New Contractor Application as well as obtain a Business License. See Contractor Licensing Information for further information or contact any Customer Service Representative at the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or by email

Related Information:
Mechanical, Electrical, Gas or Plumbing Permit Application
Contractor Licensing Requirements
Business Licensing
Electrical Load Data Form
Electrical Safety
Electrical Service Change Out or Upgrade Information
Energy Code Requirements
Solar Panels
Underground Electric Installation Request Form
Rebates for Electric Appliances
Fire Sprinkler and Suppression System Permits


Call Us First!

If you have a major electric, water or sewer problem at your home or business, call the City of Rock Hill Utility Department first - before you call an electrician or plumber. To report utility problems such as a partial or no power, backed up plumbing or and outdoor water leak, CALL US FIRST at 803/329-5500.  Our staff technicians can come to your home or business, AT NO CHARGE, and assess whether or not your problem needs to be addressed by the City or if the problem is the responsibility of the property owner. If you call out a private electrician, plumber or other contractor before you contact the City, they may charge you for a service call, regardless of whether the problem is yours or the City's.  Let us save you unnecessary expenses and inconvenience, call us first!

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer