Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A Plumbing Permit is needed to install, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any plumbing system.  For residential or commercial new building construction, additions and interior upfits, the plumbing subcontractor is usually listed on the general contractors permit and a separate permit is not required.  If you are unsure if you were listed as a subcontractor on the general contractors permit, please contact the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or you can check the permit online

Applying for a Permit

You can apply for a permit several different ways. Be sure to include any required drawings, specifications or calculations. Contractors should include a copy of the contract/ job estimate with the permit application. Most permits are  issued over the counter unless a plan review is needed.

  • Online - visit to apply online.
  • By Email - email your permit application to one of the following Development Services Specialists: Lyla JohnsonNiki Clevenger, or Luis Maigon.
  • By mail - mail your permit application to Planning & Development, P.O. Box 11706, Rock Hill SC 29731.
  • In person - permits are issued over the counter Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at our office in City Hall located at 155 Johnston St., Room 300, Rock Hill, SC 29730.

The permit fee is based on the value of the work performed. 

Contractor Licensing 

Trade/mechanical work is required to be performed by a state licensed contractor per the City's municipal ordinance Section 10-212. If this is your first time applying for a permit at the City of Rock Hill, you will need to fill out a New Contractor Application as well as obtain a Business License. See Contractor Licensing Information for further information or contact any Customer Service Representative at the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or by email.  

What should I do if a sewer back up occurs at my home or business?
You should call the City first.  Call the 24-hour AllCall service reporting system at 803-329-5500.  Even if you suspect the problem may be on your service line, it's best to call the City first before you call a plumber.  The service crew will check the City's main lines to either identify and repair the problem or determine whether or not you need to call a plumber. The City will wash the sewer main line regardless of where the problem exists.  This step could save you an unnecessary plumber's bill!  Click here for more information about preventing back ups.


Related Information

Plumbing Permit Application
Contractor Licensing Information
Cross Connection Control Program
Fat, Oil and Grease Control Ordinance for Grease Interceptors
Irrigation and Backflow Permits
Sewer Standard Details
Sewer Right-of-Way Information - Utilities
Water Leaks - Frequently Asked Questions

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer