Swimming Pool

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

pool_webA pool permit is needed for swimming pools, hot tubs, and ornamental ponds and pools to ensure building and zoning code requirements are met. Any pool, including hot tubs, spas, storeable or inflatable pools, 24 inches deep or more require a pool permit and are required to be enclosed by fencing of a type that is not readily accessible by children and that contains no opening larger that 4 inches. The fencing can not be less that 4 feet in height and, if equipped with a gate, shall have a latch. In-lieu of fencing, spas and hot tubs may have a lockable cover capable of supporting a minimum of 150 pounds, and the cover must be locked when the spa or hot tub is not in use.

You should also contact PUPS to request that any underground utilities are located before you start digging. Visit their website at www.sc811.com for more information.  If any utility lines are found, there may be utility easements or rights-of-way present on your property. These should be shown on a survey of your property. You can also contact our office to verify if any rights-of-way are present. Structures are not allowed to be placed in any easements or rights-of-way.

Permit and Plan Review Process

Complete the Residential Swimming Pool Permit Application (PDF) or the Commercial Swimming Pool/Clubhouse Permit Application (PDF) and return to the Permit Application Center along with the documents and plans listed on the checklist. Residential plan review may take up to 48 hours. Commercial Plan Review may take up to 10 business days. You can submit plans online, through the FTP site or by mailing or hand delivering paper plans. See the Retaining Wall page for more information about retaining wall permits.

Please review the Contractor Licensing Requirements.  If someone other than the state license holder will be applying for the permit, please complete the Authorization to Obtain Permits (PDF) form and have it notarized.


For further information, contact any Customer Service Representative at the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or email the PAC.

Residential customers can apply for an adjustment to the sewer charge on their utility bill for the initial filling of their pool by completing the Pool Adjustment Request (PDF) form and returning it to the Billing Division. This form must be submitted within 30 days from the date the pool is filled.

Related Information

Residential Swimming Pool Permit Application (PDF)
Commercial Swimming Pool/Clubhouse Permit Application (PDF)
Swimming Pool Barrier Requirements (PDF)
Swimming Pool Latch Requirements (PDF)
Pool Adjustment Request (PDF)
Swimming Pool Stormwater Drainage FAQ's (PDF)
Retaining Wall Permit Checklist (PDF)

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer