Permanent Signs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

We know that permanent signs are very important to businesses. We have prepared this fact sheet to summarize the opportunities for permanent signage that each business has based on its location. For our complete regulations, please see the signage section of Chapter 8 in the Rock Hill Zoning Ordinance

Permanent signs require an approved sign permit from the City prior to their installation. Here are the steps in the sign permit application process. In most cases, your chosen sign contractor will handle this process for you.

1. Apply for Sign Permit

Complete the sign permit application and submit it with the items listed on the checklist.  Please visit our Online Permitting page to submit your permit application and sign plan documents. Be sure to use the PROJECT section, not the PERMIT section of the online services page.

Sign permit applications go through a plan review process that may take up to three business days.

When your application has been determined to meet all of the requirements, the City will issue a sign permit.


License Requirements

Sign contractors are required to have a City of Rock Hill Business License before obtaining a sign permit. 

All electrical work must be completed by an electrician who is licensed in South Carolina. (Out-of-state licenses do not reciprocate.) The electrician also must have a City of Rock Hill Business License before being listed on a permit, which is required before the permit can be issued. 

Click here for a printable list of license requirements. 




2. Locate Utilities for Freestanding Signs

Contact PUPS to request that all underground utilities are located and marked before you start digging. Visit for more information.

3. Install Signs and Call for Inspections

Inspections are required for all permanent signs.

  • Freestanding signs require the following inspections:
    • Footing - before concrete is poured
    • Temporary Power (if sign has electrical service)
    • Final - after all work is complete to close out permit

  • Wall signs typically require only a final inspection

To request an inspection, do one of the following at least one day before:


For more information, contact the Permit Application Center at (803)329-5590 or by email

Related Information:
Sign Permit Application
Fee Schedule
Electrical Load Data Form
Signs in the Historic District
Temporary Signs

Zoning Ordinance  GIS Map Search

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer