The following is a listing of all work that does not require a permit. All other work in the City of Rock Hill will require proper permitting. Contractors who do not currently have a business license for the city must obtain one prior to obtaining a permit. See Contractor Licensing Information for more information.
- One-story detached accessory structures used as storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses that are less than 120 square feet. (Note: a Zoning permit is still required)
- Oil derricks
- Retaining walls not over 4 feet
- Water tanks supported on grade less than 5000 LBS.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade. (A grading permit may still be required. Check with the Infrastructure Division).
- Papering, painting, tile, carpet, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage set and scenery
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a group R-3 that are less than 24" deep, and not greater than 5000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and-two family dwellings.
- Window awnings in group R-3 and U occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54" from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Non-fixed and moveable fixtures, cases racks, counters and partitions not over 5 ft 9 inches in height.
- Electrical repairs and maintenance of a minor nature. Replacing lamps, installing portable electrical equipment to an existing approved receptacle.
- Radio and television transmitting station operating equipment. Electrical service and wiring to support such equipment does require a permit.
- Temporary testing systems for electrical equipment and systems.
- Portable heating appliances
- Replacement of minor parts that does not alter or make the equipment unsafe
- Portable heating appliance
- Portable ventilation equipment
- Portable cooling unit
- Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code
- Replacement of any part that does not alter its approval or make it unsafe
- Portable evaporative cooler
- Self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less
- Stopping of leaks of the entire plumbing systems that does not require and fittings or piping to be replaced
- Clearing of stoppages provided no fittings or piping is replaced
- Removal and reinstallation of water closets
Printable list (PDF)