Storage Building 120 sq. ft. or less

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A Zoning Permit is needed to place any residential accessory structure on your property, such as a storage building, that is 120 square feet or less. If your accessory building will be larger than 120 square feet, please see Residential Additions.  If you are looking for zoning permits related to businesses, please see Zoning Compliance.

The Zoning Ordinance does not allow metal to be used as a building material for storage buildings, equipment sheds or carports at a residence except for architectural-grade roofing materials. The picture below shows some examples:

Examples of Metal Not Allowed


Site PlanView the Zoning Permit Accessory Building Checklist for a list of information needed to apply for the permit. Complete the zoning permit application and return to the Permit Application Center along with a site plan showing where the accessory structure will be located on the property including the setbacks from each property line and any other required information.  If you don't have a copy of the survey of your property, you can obtain one from the York County Clerk of Courts office in York, SC, 803-684-8510.  You can also visit the York County Deed Search website to search for plats online. To see an example of what a site plan looks like, click the image to the right.


For further information, contact any Customer Service Representative at the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or email the PAC.

Related Information
Zoning Permit Application Accessory Building 
Zoning Permit Accessory Building Checklist
Zoning Ordinance
York County Deed Search website for plats
Historic District Properties - COA Process

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer