Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is a Rezoning?

Every piece of property in the City of Rock Hill limits is assigned a zoning district.  A rezoning takes place when City Council approves the request of the property owner to change the zoning district from one type of zoning to another, based on the recommendation of the Planning Commission.

For example, a parcel may have a zoning district of "SF-5" (Single-Family 5), which allows only single-family residential development of five units per acre and associated uses, but the owner would like to open a restaurant on the property.  This would require a rezoning to a zoning district that allows this commercial use, such as "LC" (Limited Commercial).

What is the Rezoning Process?

After completing a Rezoning Application (along with the required fees and attachments as noted on the form), the property owner will go through several steps:

  • First, the rezoning process will begin with a mandatory pre-application conference with staff to discuss the specifics of your proposed application and answer your questions on the process to follow.  To set up your pre-application conference, please call Eric Hawkins at 803-329-8763.
  • Second, at your pre-application conference, in most cases we will advise you to hold a neighborhood meeting so that your neighbors can become familiar with your request before the Planning Commission meeting on it.
  • Third, City staff will prepare a staff report summarizing the request along with a recommendation regarding the proposed change.  The City's Planning Commission will review the staff report and hold a public hearing about the request, during which people for and against the proposed change may comment about it.  At the conclusion of the public hearing, the City's Planning Commission will make a recommendation to City Council about the proposed change.
  • Fourth, City Council will consider the Planning Commission's recommendation and then decide whether to give first reading to an ordinance that would rezone the property.
  • Fifth, during another meeting, City Council will decide whether to give final reading to the ordinance rezoning the property.  Generally, City Council will not have substantive discussion about the request at this last meeting unless some issues were left unresolved during first reading.

When the property is annexed into the City at the time of the rezoning, the request will go through the same basic process with additional information presented and considered regarding the annexation itself.

Contact: For further information on the Rezoning process, please call Eric Hawkins, Planner III at 803-329-8763.

Related Information:

Creating a Master Planned District
Upcoming Public Hearings

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer