Residential recycling is collected in blue bins at the curb on the same day as residential garbage. Find out your collection day on this map. Please place blue collection bins at least four feet away from the garbage container to avoid damage by the other collection vehicles. Place bins at the curb no sooner than noon the day before collections and removed from the curb by 7 AM the day after collections. Check out the Recycling & Solid Waste Reference Guide (pdf).
Additional blue recycling bins are available at no extra charge. A set of wheels and a handle for your recycling bin are available upon request. To report a damaged recycle bin, or to order a new recycle bin, fill out an online service request, email email@example.com, or call 803-326-3891.
Recycling is also available at apartment complexes serviced by the City. If the dumpsters have a City of Rock Hill logo, contact the Commercial Recycling Supervisor, at 803-329-5543 for more information.
The items collected for recycling include:
- Aluminum and steel cans (push the lids inside the cans)
- Aluminum foil and plates (remove food)
- Plastic bottles, jugs, and jars (empty with lids on)
- Plastic motor oil bottles (emptied with the lids in place)
- Newspaper (tied securely in bags)
- Magazines and junk mail (tied securely in bags)
- Chipboard (cereal boxes, tissue boxes, cracker boxes, shoe boxes, paper towel tubes, etc.)
- Cartons (juice boxes, milk cartons, egg substitutes, etc)
- Corrugated Cardboard, stack empty, flattened cardboard next to your curbside recycling bin. Cardboard must be cut down to 2-foot x 2-foot sections. Corrugated materials can also be flattened and recycled in red dumpsters at all City Fire Stations.
We do NOT recycle plastic bags in curbside recycling. Plastic bags can be taken to your local grocery store for recycling. We do NOT recycle styrofoam. We do NOT recycle paper or plastic cups. We do NOT recycle plastic plates or utensils.
Additional materials can be taken to one of the York County Collection and Recycling Centers for recycling including used motor oil, automobile batteries, and corrugated cardboard. York County Collection & Recycling Center locations
Televisions, computers and tires can be disposed of for free by dropping them off at any of the County Collection & Recycling Center locations. Public Works can also pick these items up on your regular collection day for a fee of $25.00 per item applied to your utility bill. If you would like to schedule a pickup for any of the above items or have questions please call 803-325-2500.
Household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, and nine-volt) may be placed in your household trash.
Your community group can recycle at your events for free. See the Special Events Recycling Toolkit Instructions.
Thank you for assisting the City with residential recycling.